The residents of a home in El Dorado Hills are thankful for functioning smoke alarms after a fire broke out in the attic on Thursday night, allowing them to evacuate to safety from the fast-moving flames before firefighters arrived.

At approximately 9:15 p.m. Thursday, 911 dispatchers received the call and dispatched units from multiple departments to the Appaloosa Court home. Responding agencies included the El Dorado Hills Fire Department, the lead agency on the incident which was aided by units from the Cameron Park Fire Department and Rescue Fire.


Upon arrival at the home, firefighters reported they were faced with heavy active fire coming through the roof of the two-story residential structure. Firefighters aggressively attacked the active fire to gain entry into the attic space of the home to attack the remainder of the fire which had already caused extensive damage.

According to the El Dorado Hills Fire Department, the investigation revealed that the fire originated from the wood-burning fireplace in the home. According to the report, the home suffered extensive fire, smoke, and water damage that is being estimated at approximately $700,000 between damaged property and loss of contents.


“This is an important reminder for all of us about the dangers of wood-burning stoves and fireplaces. Please ensure you regularly clean and inspect these heat sources to prevent such incidents,” the department shared. “Have your fireplace or wood stove inspected and cleaned by a professional annually before the cold season begins. Keep flammable materials like curtains, furniture, and decorations away from the fireplace.”

Noting that all of the residents were safely evacuated before their arrival Thursday, firefighters also reminded the public of the importance of servicing smoke alarms in your home and testing them regularly. “Ensure smoke detectors are installed on every floor of your home, especially near bedrooms. Test them monthly and replace batteries at least once a year.”


The department also reminded residents to follow safety measures regarding fireplace use including:

  • Keep flammable materials like curtains, furniture, and decorations away from the fireplace.
  • Use a metal mesh screen with your fireplace to catch flying sparks that could ignite a fire.
  • Never leave the fireplace unattended; make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.

“Let’s keep our community safe by following these safety tips! Stay informed and prepared,” they shared.

An Appaloosa Court home in El Dorado Hills suffered extensive damage in a fire Thursday night in which smoke alarms alerted residents their attic was on fire. Photo Courtesy EDH Fire.
Bill Sullivan
Author: Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan has over 25 years of professional journalism and content creation experience in which he has earned 37 professional awards. He is the co-founder/publisher of Folsom Times an All Town Media LLC product.