Search amidst busy afternoon on the waters for first responders

RANCHO CORDOVA – Rescue crews were busy searching the waters of the American River near Rancho Cordova Saturday afternoon for a missing adult man who fell into the waters and did not resurface.


Shortly after 11:29 am Saturday, units from the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District were dispatched to the incident at the  1790 block of the American River Parkway, which is near Hagen and Ambassador Parks as well as the Clay Banks access point to the American River.  

According to officials with Metro Fire, an adult male, who has been described as being in his 30’s and dressed in a black shirt and maroon and white pants. The man was reportedly rafting with a large party and fell into the waters , according to reports from Sac Metro Fire.


After falling, he did not return to the surface of the water , prompting the call for assistance. The man reportedly was not wearing any type of life jacket or floatation device.

Multiple resources were involved in the active search, including three rescue boats, a helicopter and several ground crews that have been search downstream of where the incident took place.


After search for over two hours, authorities have reclassified their efforts to a recovery effort with little hope the man would be found alive after the length of time.


According to Metro Fire, Sacramento Regional Parks and the sheriff’s office coordinated to recover the body of the missing man on Sunday downstream. The Sac County Coroner’s Office has taken possession of the body.

Multiple rescued following raft accident later in day

The search near the Clay Banks access wasn’t the sole incident on Saturday as crews were busy on the river later into the afternoon.


At 3:46 p.m. first responders on ground, by boat and air were dispatched further down stream in Rancho Cordova to an area of the river behind the 2500 block of Tiffany Lane where multiple individuals had to be assisted from the water after a rafting mishap.

After being assisted to the shore, all members of the group declined medical services from units on scene.